Remove Business Model Remove Community Remove Networking Remove San Jose
article thumbnail

First (and not last) time at iOSDevCamp 2011

Sophia Perl of Wisdom

The hackathon follows a similar format of a Startup Weekend, Friday night – networking, idea pitches, some teams form, Saturday – teams done forming, hack hack hack, and Sunday - hack, submit, present your hack. Before the weekend, all the attendees can create profiles on CrowdVine.com, a social network for events.

article thumbnail

Startup Weekend makes a pitstop in San Jose

Sophia Perl of Wisdom

Last weekend in the heart of San Jose, over 100 people gathered at PayPal for Startup Weekend. you get to be part of a community that has a common goal of working / creating a startup over a course of the weekend - Friday night, all day Saturday, then all day Sunday. network like crazy. build the business model?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Black People Leveraged Tech Bigotry to Boss the Blockchain Below the Radar

Austin Startup

The African-American community with a global movement known as the Afro-Tech quietly mastered blockchain/distributed ledger technology several years ago to benefit urban communities. You need a community and ecosystem that adopts and use your tech.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Where did Summer Go?

Professor VC

This whole process got me thinking about the textbook business model. Both good steps, but competition, more choices (including online, subscription, rental and other new models) will do more than regulation. Labels: business models , Grateful Dead , textbook. I also teach Entrepreneurial Finance at San Jose State.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Can Entrepreneurship Be Taught?

Professor VC

However, for most of the rest of us, the analytical skills honed in college or grad school, along with the opportunity to network and explore different fields prove invaluable later. With that in mind, I created a new course at San Jose State last year, the Entrepreneurship Lab (E-Lab). ► January. (1). ► 2010. (7).

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Is the Grass Really Greener on the Dark Side?

Professor VC

In addition to the case study analysis, the students also have the opportunity to develop a business model and financial model for a new concept, which always proves a lot more challenging. Don't Stop Believin' Is There Any Truth in "The Social Network"? A Lot of Horn Tooting over a Kazoo sized deal.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Touched by an Angel

Professor VC

I think the title of this post is a TV show, but fitting as there has been much debate in the venture community as to the whether angel investors are good or bad for entrepreneurs and VCs. While currently free to angel groups, their business model revolves around aggregating the angel investment data. Thursday, January 17, 2008.