article thumbnail

Leadership is More Than a Memo

Steve Blank

While Silicon Valley has grown to have global influence, in many ways the cultural leadership from the venture community has dramatically shrunk in the last decade. Chasing deal flow has resulted in many VCs leading the race to the bottom in startup ethical behavior. Lessons Learned.

article thumbnail

Does Your VC have an Investment Thesis, or a Hypothesis?

David Teten

a16z’s Cultural Leadership Fund aims to “enable more young African-Americans to enter the technology industry.”. J-Angels “is a community and a VC fund of top American investors (Jewish-American & Israeli-born) in Silicon Valley and San Francisco.”. They exist as heuristics, but at the end of the day, deal flow trumps everything.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Accessibility as an Advantage in Venture Capital: Why Creating Value for Everyone in the Community Wins

This is going to be BIG.

Opening up our circle to create and scale genuine engagement for people outside of typical venture networks is how we do business—and we’re getting exceptional deal flow because of that. You passed on investing in my company but you still made an investment in my leadership and I'm deeply appreciative.”

article thumbnail

How to Be a Good Board Member

Both Sides of the Table

I also find this as an invaluable source of future deal flow, future recruiting and future decisions about whom I want to co-invest with. Having a relationship with investor groups that don’t have a board seat helps keep relationships strong with the investment community.

Cofounder 251
article thumbnail

Open Positions at the ATI

Austin Startup

ATI has served the entrepreneur community for over twenty years and focuses on the IT, Wireless, Clean Energy and Bioscience verticals. The Assistant Director will manage the deal flow process and lead our due diligence efforts to admit new members.

article thumbnail

What Freedom Looks Like

David Cohen

She has the authority to hire and place other people of color in leadership in ways that creates the same freedoms for them that she has found. I am encouraged by the efforts nationwide to close equity gaps in the Black community, but it didn’t take 2 years to get us here, and 2 years won’t get us out.

article thumbnail

How universities can keep alumni excited and connected

David Teten

I took this as a challenge, and brainstormed a list of ideas on how universities can do more to engage their alumni community. This helps create diversified deal flow and closed investments. Presidential Leadership Scholars . Build and manage active alumni online communities, not just a simple alumni database.