article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. What about the rest of us?

article thumbnail

Launching a Portfolio Acceleration Platform at a Venture Capital or Private Equity Fund

David Teten

VC Platform community has grown approximately 120% in the last 3 years. You might hire a really amazing designer, and perhaps even charge companies for their service for cost recovery purposes. However, the designer is a non-scaleable service; you’ll have to hire more people like her as your portfolio grows. . Advantages.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Choose a Business Location

Up and Running

Do you have access to an engaged community that is eager to help? Our business in located on Country Club Drive and down the street from a large country club community.”. An interior designer was hired to make the space shine. He wanted to stay rooted in his community in South Carolina. “My Is safety very important?

article thumbnail

How to Get a Quality Logo Without Spending Big Bucks

Up and Running

Logos can be expensive and not every company has the budget to bring in a graphic design agency, especially if you’re just starting out. Freelancer Paula Mottshaw , who specializes in graphic and web design, says there are creative ways to save money on a logo. A freelance designer could save you some bucks, Mottshaw says.

article thumbnail

Meet Our Newest Portfolio Company, Airbnb

Ben's Blog

Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia met at the Rhode Island School of Design and became roommates in San Francisco in 2007. A prominent design conference was coming to town and the nearby hotels were sold out. Community-driven, populated with passionate users who evangelize the service.

article thumbnail

Top Social Media Measurement and Tracking Tools

www.foliomag.com

MediaPRO Community. Design & Production. Tool: Sysomos (Marketwire) URL: Sysomos.com What it does: Like Radian6, Sysomos is designed to help brands “listen” to what people are saying about them online, particularly through social media. Thanks for being part of the FOLIO: community. Art/Creative/Design. Post a Job.

article thumbnail

People-First Capitalism

Reid Hoffman

And so my basic idea is that, I think this is probably because of my background as a designer, I like to take a very systematic approach. When I was at RISD, I went to Rhode Island School of Design, there was this idea that was emerging called The Green Movement, the sustainability movement.