article thumbnail

The Tech Mentorship Gap: How Code2040 Is Solving. What You Can Do. And How LinkedIn Can Help

Hunter Walker

Each summer they match high performing software engineering students from these underrepresented groups with Mentor and summer internships. I’d love to see LinkedIn standardize the notion of community service as a field in your profile. One additional thought about creating a culture of contribution in tech.

article thumbnail

The Big Bang. The Lean LaunchPad explodes at University of Maryland

Steve Blank

The University of Maryland is now integrating the Lean LaunchPad ® into standard innovation and entrepreneurship courses across all 12 colleges within the University. The DC, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) region represents the most fertile science and technology region in the country with about $30 billion in federally-funded R&D.

Maryland 277
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Doubling Down On a Good Thing: The National Science Foundation’s I-Corps Lite

Steve Blank

I’ve known Edmund Pendleton from the University of Maryland as the Director of the D.C. National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps Node (a collaboration among the University of Maryland, Virginia Tech, George Washington, and Johns Hopkins). It has since been adopted by the entire federal research community.

SBIR 120
article thumbnail

18 Entrepreneurs Explain What They Did Prior to Starting Their Businesses

Hearpreneur

He also didn’t believe in supporting the community and supporting local organizations through our skills. More importantly, we continue to help the community through pro-bono projects, supporting non-profits and charitable campaigns, and giving back where and when we can. 11 – US Army Classified as a Computer Engineer.

article thumbnail

SXSW Pitch Finalist: Hemafuse

Austin Startup

In addition to entrepreneurship, she has a background in chemical engineering, supply chain management, biomedical engineering research, microbiology research, and new product development for U.S. Yarina spoke about the meaning of Sisu in Finnish, the importance of building community, and what she loves about being in Baltimore.

article thumbnail

5 Local Search Tactics You Must Employ Today

Duct Tape Marketing

photo credit: D.Clow – Maryland via photopin cc. The category of local search engine optimization has picked up steam over the last few years as search behavior combined with the rapid growth of smart phone use created a truly mobile search consumer. Search is pretty much everything these days. Get the NAP right.

Search 68
article thumbnail

Virtual worlds – then, now and next

VC Cafe

The first virtual worlds were simple chat rooms & communities. Advancements in Technology : Game engines like Unreal or Unity, which are available for free to developers, have reached an incredible level of illusion (see video below). Virtual worlds aren’t new. These then developed into more elaborate MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons).

Jordan 198