article thumbnail

When The VC Asks: About Your Hiring Plan

Hunter Walker

Whether it’s adding capacity to an existing function (#MawrEngineers) or bringing new talents onboard (“we intend to make our first marketing hire”), glossing over these bullet points towards the back of the pitch deck would be a mistake. I’m interested in not just what these people will be doing but how and when they’ll be hired.

Hiring 108
article thumbnail

Why I left Wall Street to figure it out.

Austin Startup

This was my time at a Wall Street firm that had hired me after I applied for their Junior Stockbroker position, a little while after I graduated from college. This developed into another question: Even more, since there’s so much that goes on within the community, how can I know in one place, on my phone, what’s going on?—?in

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Should You Share Equity with Consultants?

www.inc.com

Join our community. Back in 1997, Randy Parker was staring at a blank whiteboard, wondering where hed find the money to hire the employees and consultants he needed to build his new product. "We Create an options pool, if nothing more than in your mind, so you have some parameters to work within," Durkin says.

article thumbnail

Startups: Cut the Wheat from the Chaff on Quora

VC Cafe

Short answer: Start building your community from day one, and put a real emphasis on building it offline. How do bootstrapped companies hire talent? [link] – a free alternative to FreshBooks. link] – shameless plug, time and expense tracking. What is the most effective way to get the word out about a new product?

article thumbnail

The Future of Startup Funding

www.paulgraham.com

In a traditional series A round, before the VCs invest theymake the company set aside a block of stock for future hires—usuallybetween 10 and 30% of the company. Even the cheap kinds of startups will generally raise large amountsat some point, when they want to hire a lot of people. Theyrean administrative convenience.

Startup 93
article thumbnail

VCs eating our own dog food: Using technology and analytics to make better investments

David Teten

To learn more about this space, I suggest join an online community I co-founded, PEVCTech. . Investors are also mining for leads such sources as: – product crowdfunding sites ( Indiegogo *); – tech communities ( Producthunt ); – angel group platforms ( Gust ); – expert networks (e.g., 1) Manage the firm .

article thumbnail

How to Divide Equity to Startup Founders, Advisors, and Employees

thinkspace.com

Chris Dixon wrote a blog post about “ The one number you should know about your equity grant “ The one number you should know about your equity grant is the percent of the company you are being granted (in options, shares, whatever – it doesn’t matter – just the % matters). Percent of the outstanding option pool: meaningless.

Equity 62