article thumbnail

New Story and 3D Printed Homes

Feld Thoughts

In July 2015, I wrote about New Story asking readers to crowdfund one $6k house for a family in Haiti. In the past four years, New Story has funded over 2,200 homes, building 17 communities for over 11,000 people across Mexico, Haiti, El Salvador, and Bolivia. They have now come up with a unique model for scaling their impact.

article thumbnail

This Week in NYC Innovation - February 22, 2010

This is going to be BIG.

OVA has arranged screening events around the world. The conference is free and open to the public.

Haiti 74
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Austin’s opportunity to change America’s entrepreneurial narrative

Austin Startup

In 1991, ten-year-old Jerry and his family escaped civil war in Haiti and resettled in America as refugees. Austin’s opportunity I’m excited to come to Austin next week because I’ve seen in the community everything we need to solve the problems we have. Second, we need to innovate as much in HOW we invest as WHAT we invest in.

article thumbnail

50+ Entrepreneurs Explain How They Came Up With Their Business Name

Hearpreneur

GMR stands for “Global Marketing Resources.” ” I chose this because I serve marketing clients globally and provide a variety of digital marketing resources to help them get a measurable return on investment. After the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, I went to Haiti as part of a relief team.

Naming 48
article thumbnail

15 Entrepreneurs Share What Their Favorite Part of Running a Business Is

Hearpreneur

I tell people I’m interviewing that we’re a place where you can make a global difference by impacting the world’s most significant issues: energy, water, war, poverty. 11 – Creating a Community. These are more than just platitudes, this is what we work on daily. Thanks to Mickey Swortzel, NewEagle. #5

article thumbnail

“We are one of just 13 industrialized countries with a rising maternal mortality rate” – Christy Turlington Burns on Fighting for Healthy Mothers

Hunter Walker

Christy doing work in Haiti Hunter Walk: Every Mother Counts is a nonprofit focused on supporting maternal health. How has this reality impacted the type of community building you do—does it make you more careful? Our running community is inspiring and we have had almost 80,000 people run on behalf of our organization.

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurs are Everywhere Show No. 9: Jered Lawson and Chase Adam

Steve Blank

Jered Lawson discovered a passion for community farming while in college. He also worked in the Peace Corps in Costa Rica and helped start a national health program in Haiti. Here he explains the origins of the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) movement he’s working to foster. If you can’t hear the clip, click here.