article thumbnail

A Visit With the European Startup Community

Gust

Two hundred angels, entrepreneurs and members of the startup community attended this inaugural event. One hundred and fifty entrepreneurs and community members attended the monthly conference, which alternates between Tallinn and Helsinki. A two hour ferry ride across the Bay of Finland carried us from Tallinn to Helsinki.

Community 121
article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

– Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff. The firm attracts deal flow by promising a decision (positive or negative) in under 2 weeks, with minimal paperwork and without repeating due diligence. This evolves the VC from a server to a router.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How VCs Structure a Syndicate and Recruit Coinvestors

David Teten

The challenge with most such independent investors is that they, quite reasonably, all have their own independent decision-making and due diligence process. Although EquityZen is primarily an online marketplace for secondary shares in private companies, they also offer syndicated primary investments. Market Insight.

article thumbnail

An Investor’s Personal Social Media Tech Stack: In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 followers

David Teten

Many investors including me spend most of our day doing the same things people have always done in our job: in my case, due diligence, deal execution, etc. PEVCTech.com , a community for investors and technologists responsible for investing in private companies, primarily at private equity and venture capital funds.

article thumbnail

Flexible VC, a New Model for Companies Targeting Profitability

David Teten

His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. Coinvestors: Flexible VC terms have not been standardized, which may make the investment harder to syndicate. Lower level of community familiarity. Typically 1-3 months of due diligence. Of the Inc. 5000 companies, only 6.5%

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

My colleagues Sebastian Soler , Steven Greenberg and I recently launched a new online community, PEVCTech.com , exclusively for PE/VC investors; engineers who work at PE/VC funds; and other technologists who specialize in working on this problem. 5) Due diligence. to motivate their angel community to support their startups.

article thumbnail

LinkedIn: The Series A Fundraising Story ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

We’re a how-to site and community for small business on marketing. . We’ve had a supportive board and encouraging metrics and a helpful climate for our community news notion (now 51 sites in 3 states). We’re just a little start-up with a big, big dream…We’ve just launched [link] in December 2010.