article thumbnail

Public Hospital Modern Woes – Aging Infrastructure, Unions, Pensions, High Regulation. 

The Startup Magazine

This article will focus on the impact of hospitals in that equation, specifically those public health system owned and controlled by local Governments. [2]. Further into their lifecycle, though, they found themselves beholden to certain financial and governance handicaps. Hospital System Roots. Unions often cast an outsized presence.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #11: Jeremy Howard on the power of masks, health policy, and data science in medicine

Startup Lessons Learned

Before that I was an equal partner in Kaggle, which is a popular data science competition community. So plenty of dark bits, but also this weird discovery that you can create incredibly close connections with people that I've never met before and build a global community of people who want nothing more than to help save lives.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Finding Your Fire And Igniting Change

Duct Tape Marketing

Terri is an executive with 20 years of experience specializing in government relations, social impact strategy, corporate social responsibility, public affairs, and innovative business operations to further the organizational mission. That would be harmful to the work that we do and to our communities.

article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. Firms Miss Out on Jobs Push A new federal program that lets states give companies financial incentives for hiring jobless people hasnt gained traction, illustrating the complications of government attempts to tackle unemployment.

article thumbnail

Taking stock of the Dutch tech cluster: What The Netherlands needs to win the European startup scene

The Next Web

Mr. Willink would later bank roll the Louisiana Purchase - in someway a ‘super angel’ of the 18th century. In my view, we can do a better job of forming strong tech communities. The Next Web and the Next Women) and several government backed initiatives. It was the first foreign loan in US history.

article thumbnail

A New Idea for Black Friday

Gregg Fraley, Author of Jack's Notebook

The harder news, like the protests at Walmart in Ontario, Louisiana, got a lot less air time. The Walmart job can’t be the supplementary job in a community that doesn’t have a major manufacturer making something of real value. I guess it is the story of the day, but how much can you make of it, what is there to say?

Louisiana 101
article thumbnail

10 Amazing Microfinance Success Stories

YoungUpstarts

In two years she has hired eight full-time employees, secured lucrative government contracts, and is able to support seven households besides her own in Amman. She started a business selling gas cylinders with a loan from MFW that helped her buy two cars to make deliveries. She is even mulling a run for office in the gas providers’ union.

Colombia 263