article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Techstars in Kansas City

Feld Thoughts

Yesterday Techstars announced the launch of Techstars Kansas City. This is a city-based horizontal accelerator similar to the ones we have in Boulder, Boston, Seattle, Austin, New York City, London and Berlin. I have a long history with Kansas City.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Your city doesn’t have a startup community? Start one!

The Next Web

You don’t have to be located in Silicon Valley to take part in a great startup community. If you’re motivated enough to start your own business and create something great from a simple idea, then you’re certainly motivated enough to jumpstart a local startup community. Why worry about a startup community?

Community 153
article thumbnail

The Top 10 Duct Tape Marketing Podcast Episodes for 2019

Duct Tape Marketing

He is also the author of the New York Times bestselling book, Outside the Wire: Ten Lessons I’ve Learned in Everyday Courage. Matt Scanlon is a fellow Kansas City business owner. Jason Kander served in the U.S. military as an Army Captain before transitioning into politics.

article thumbnail

Weekend Reading on Startup Communities

Feld Thoughts

New stuff shows up every week – mostly business and entrepreneurship books, and the occasional “I think you’d like this” book. So this weekend was about startup communities with a bonus book on the startup visa tossed in for good measure. ” But then I did, and it was a great read.

article thumbnail

How to Kick Start Your Community’s Startup Scene

Both Sides of the Table

I have never been more optimistic about the impact that the tech startup community is having on cities in America or about the role that cities outside of San Francisco / Silicon Valley can play in our future. The New York startup scene is vibrant and launching companies that play to NYs great strengths which are many.

article thumbnail

Startup Lessons Learned 2011 streaming live

Startup Lessons Learned

We struggle with this issue every year, because we strongly encourage everyone who can to participate with their local entrepreneurship community. Strengthening ties between entrepreneurs is one of our most important values. That said, there comes a point where that's not possible for everyone.