article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Product development leverage

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Sunday, April 26, 2009 Product development leverage Leverage has once again become a dirty word in the world of finance, and rightly so. But I want to talk about a different kind of leverage, the kind that you can get in product development. Its a key lean startup concept. Yeah, weve got that.

article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. This probably sounds illogical. Then the reality of our problem hit us.

Community 158
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

5 Tips to Becoming a More Customer Centric Organization

Both Sides of the Table

He published our first wiki where the whole list of potential features were outlined. Getting Customers Involved in Product Priorities – Around the time that Salesforce.com acquired my company we also acquired a company called CrispyNews. They had decided to take a Digg style approach to product development.

Customer 280
article thumbnail

What to expect when your team grows from 10 to 20 people

Spencer Fry

Throughout my career as an entrepreneur, I've gotten my hands dirty in every area of the business: product, marketing, support, community, success, and so on, but at 19 people, I just haven't had the time to be everywhere at all times. You're going to need to give things up. I have to pick and choose what I do and what I don't do.

article thumbnail

A real Customer Advisory Board

Startup Lessons Learned

Anyone who has worked in a real-world product development team can tell you how utopian that sounds. And, as you can see in my previous post on “ The cardinal sin of community management &# the feedback could be all over the map. Passionate online communities are real societies. It was absolutely worth it.

article thumbnail

Finding a Technical Cofounder

bizthoughts.mikelee.org

Then go to hacker events and developer meetups. The development community is a friendly one (for the most part) and you’ll often find many people eager to help you out. You can earn the trust of other developers fairly easily if they see you willing to do this. Learn to write code yourself.

article thumbnail

Building a new startup hub

Startup Lessons Learned

Ive written a little bit about the origins of Silicon Valley because I think its important for us to understand how we got here in order to make sure we preserve what is best about our community. The companies I spoke to all agreed that the community there was extremely supportive, especially in the critical ulta-early-stage.