article thumbnail

The cardinal sin of community management

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Friday, September 11, 2009 The cardinal sin of community management Once you have a product launched, you will the face the joys – and the despair – of a community that grows up around it. Most normal customers – even among early adopters - do not pay attention to the trolls.

Community 158
article thumbnail

A New Way to Teach Entrepreneurship – The Lean LaunchPad at Stanford: Class 1

Steve Blank

It was designed to bring together many of the new approaches to building a successful startup – customer development, agile development, business model generation and pivots. The first class was an introduction to the concepts of business model design and customer development. The Adventure Begins.

Lean 298
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

5 Tips to Becoming a More Customer Centric Organization

Both Sides of the Table

He published our first wiki where the whole list of potential features were outlined. He made customer-to-customer dialog possible and visible. Where we designed what we perceived to be a simple product they turned the customer development process it into a science. It was Salesforce.com.

Customer 280
article thumbnail

Startup Tools

steveblank.com

Github - Free public repositories, collaborator management, issue tracking, wikis, downloads, code review, graphs Pivotal Tracker – Agile project management tool that enables real time collaboration. WebSequenceDiagrams - sketch sequence diagrams. It’s more reference material. Thus, these pages.

article thumbnail

Building a new startup hub

Startup Lessons Learned

Ive written a little bit about the origins of Silicon Valley because I think its important for us to understand how we got here in order to make sure we preserve what is best about our community. The companies I spoke to all agreed that the community there was extremely supportive, especially in the critical ulta-early-stage.

article thumbnail

Why we need to teach MBA’s about modern entrepreneurship (and what Harvard Business School is doing about it)

Startup Lessons Learned

In fact, this crisis was at the heart of Steve Blank ’s original impetus to develop customer development as an alternative set of milestones to use for startups.) I'm hoping we'll get this hosted on a wiki soon.) I also frequently see the reverse. General management is supposed to be orderly, “strategic” and mostly calm.

article thumbnail

A real Customer Advisory Board

Startup Lessons Learned

And, as you can see in my previous post on “ The cardinal sin of community management &# the feedback could be all over the map. But we had some super-active customers who would act as editors, collecting feedback from all over the community and synthesizing it into a report of the top issues. It was absolutely worth it.