article thumbnail

Soundbites from the future

Start Up Blog

Unlike previous generations young Australians are participating in community activity, many of which do not involve any economic incentives. We are more interested in a niche fringe community than a mass event. The internet is trying to mimic the real world. The internet is in every second pocket. The stadium era is over.

Moldova 91
article thumbnail

Here’s What’s Driving Collaborative Consumption and Where the Market May Head Next

Both Sides of the Table

As I outlined in my talk, I believe the greatest Internet companies created over the past 15 years have been “deflationary” meaning they are driving down the prices or goods & services. billion page views making it the largest communities of artists in the world.

Syria 361
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The Red Queen Problem – Innovation in the DoD and Intelligence Community

Steve Blank

Innovation, disruption, accelerators, have all become urgent buzzwords in the Department of Defense and Intelligence community. Our defense department and intelligence community owned proprietary advanced tools and technology. “…it takes all the running you can do to keep in the same place. ”. The Red Queen Alice in Wonderland.

Community 212
article thumbnail

From Airbnb to TaskRabbit to Zimride, sharing is becoming big business

www.usatoday.com

The advent of GPS, the always-on Internet and social networks enable finding things in real time from people you somewhat trust. Julianna Iran, a tax consultant from Pasadena, Calif., Sign up to get: Top viewed stories, photo galleries and community posts of the day. Only 3% were online when I started AOL. E-Newsletters.

article thumbnail

Why Entrepreneurs & VCs Should Focus on Basecamp, Not the Summit

Both Sides of the Table

Or maybe you’re trying to dramatically change the way TV is consumed, like Boxee or TV advertising works on the Internet, like Hulu. Hashtags were organically created by the Twitter community the way that RT (retweets) were and OH (over heard) was and #FF (follow Friday), etc. That includes me.

article thumbnail

Why I’m Doubling Down on the Twitter Ecosystem

Both Sides of the Table

And while DataSift is a provider of multiple real-time data feeds, I would like to be clear that Twitter is by far the most important and dominant of the real-time publicly available data that exists on the Internet today, which is why today’s bet for me is on the Twitter ecosystem. How Does Twitter Stack up to the Rest of the Ecosystem? –

Viral 307
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #21: Tomas Pueyo on the hammer and the dance, political polarization, and how the pandemic will affect the way we live and work

Startup Lessons Learned

Eric Ries : I had to do the math, and it's dangerous to do the math live, but I had to look up on Wikipedia the number of English-speaking internet users, which is about 1.1 Eric Ries : So if I'm getting it right, 60 million people is something like 5% of the possible audience of people who are on the internet and speak English.