article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

The Importance of Young People In Your Startup Community

Feld Thoughts

From Chattanooga to Omaha to Las Vegas, many cities in the US – and around the world – are building startup communities. Behind every successful startup community is a group of young people with their entire life ahead of them. So how do growing communities retain them?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What Your Nonprofit Board Should Know About Pay Equity  

Board Effect

On another front, Vincent Robinson, the founder and managing partner of an executive search group that recruits leaders at foundations and nonprofits, disagrees with the #ShowTheSalary campaign’s principles. Volunteer Iowa offers a few executive compensation policy samples to help you get started on the path to pay equity. .

Equity 105
article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Management. How well a failed entrepreneur has managed his company, and how well he worked with his previous investors, makes a difference in his ability to persuade U.S. Journal Community. Manage Email Preferences. Manage Email Preferences. Journal Community. » More. Real Estate. » More.

article thumbnail

How to Kick Start Your Community’s Startup Scene

Both Sides of the Table

I have never been more optimistic about the impact that the tech startup community is having on cities in America or about the role that cities outside of San Francisco / Silicon Valley can play in our future. Or the growth of Dwolla in Iowa or C2FO being built in Kansas City? The Foundations of the Seattle startup community.

article thumbnail

Now Is The Time To Prepare Your Business For A Natural Disaster

YoungUpstarts

If you live in the Iowa, you do not need to prepare for a hurricane. Find out how you can best help your community. Many times when a disaster strikes, communities find that some members of the community are damaged more than other members. Evaluate what disasters you possibly face.