article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Kauffman Sketchbook on Startup Communities

Feld Thoughts

I just finished up at Thinc Iowa and am heading to San Francisco for a few meetings tomorrow. I had an awesome time in the last 24 hours, especially last night hanging out for three hours with 20 or so entrepreneurs at StartupCity in Des Moines. It’s part of the Kauffman Sketchbook series which I completely love.

Community 150
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Your city doesn’t have a startup community? Start one!

The Next Web

You don’t have to be located in Silicon Valley to take part in a great startup community. Conventional wisdom told entrepreneurs it was necessary to live in one of the central hubs if you wanted your business to thrive. This is especially true for entrepreneurs with newborn tech businesses they want to see grow up big and strong.

Community 153
article thumbnail

2013’s Top 10 Small Towns For Mobile Entrepreneurs

Mike Michalowicz

You have the choice to do business from anywhere, anytime, including some of the most beautiful and mobile entrepreneur friendly towns in the USA. So here you have it, the “Top 10 Small Towns for Mobile Entrepreneurs for 2013.”. Walcott, Iowa. And yes, it is perfect for mobile entrepreneurs. Clayton, Georgia.

Mobile 163
article thumbnail

Introducing The Commitment Engine

Duct Tape Marketing

I share tons of stories from entrepreneurs that have discovered a higher purpose their business serves and how they found the clarity to build a business that brings them joy as well as success. This book is undoubtedly the riskiest thing I’ve ever written, but it contains a message that I think needs to be spread and shared.

article thumbnail

Google launches Google for Entrepreneurs to keep an even closer eye on startups around the world

The Next Web

Google today launched Google for Entrepreneurs both at google.com/entrepreneurs and of course Google+. Mountain View says Google for Entrepreneurs is “the umbrella” for the company’s several dozen programs and partnerships around the world that support startups and entrepreneurs.

Iowa 137
article thumbnail

My New FiberHouse in Kansas City

Feld Thoughts

Instead, I’m going to let entrepreneurs live / work in it. As part of helping create the Kansas City startup community. I’m not taking any equity in these companies – I using a “give before you get” philosophy here to experiment, learn, and help the Kansas City startup community.