article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. A Strong Pool of Tech Founders – Stating the obvious.

Community 378
article thumbnail

What Your Nonprofit Board Should Know About Pay Equity  

Board Effect

On another front, Vincent Robinson, the founder and managing partner of an executive search group that recruits leaders at foundations and nonprofits, disagrees with the #ShowTheSalary campaign’s principles. Volunteer Iowa offers a few executive compensation policy samples to help you get started on the path to pay equity. .

Equity 105
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Startup Chica Spotlight: Meet Some of Austin’s Female Founders

Austin Startup

Nelly Garcia, Co-Founder of Rocheli Patisserie Nelly Garcia, Co-Founder of Rocheli Patisserie Nelly Garcia was born in Monterrey, Mexico, and immigrated to Austin, Texas, in 2002 at the age of 15. Laura grew up in Iowa where she received degrees in computer science and english from the University of Iowa.

Founder 62
article thumbnail

Your city doesn’t have a startup community? Start one!

The Next Web

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Aaron Pitman , an angel investor and founder and partner of RA Domain Capital. You don’t have to be located in Silicon Valley to take part in a great startup community. After all, a great startup community can grow anywhere — from the buzzing streets of New York City to sleepy rural Iowa.

Community 153
article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

Now Is The Time To Prepare Your Business For A Natural Disaster

YoungUpstarts

by Walt Capell, founder of General Liability Shop . If you live in the Iowa, you do not need to prepare for a hurricane. Find out how you can best help your community. Many times when a disaster strikes, communities find that some members of the community are damaged more than other members.

article thumbnail

Google launches Google for Entrepreneurs to keep an even closer eye on startups around the world

The Next Web

The company says it will focus on three key areas: Partnerships with strong organizations that serve entrepreneurs in local communities. Partners include the Idea Village in New Orleans, Communitech in Waterloo, Tetuan Valley in Wroclaw, the Branson Centre of Entrepreneurship in Johannesburg and the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce in Iowa.

Iowa 137