article thumbnail

May Business Angels Spread Their Wings Over Kenya?

Transformify

Despite Kenya has been named as the fasted growing payments market in Africa, there is still a lot to be done to develop the local business angel community. The capital of Kenya, Nairobi, is a vibrant city offering various resources for young start – ups, including accelerator 88MPH and incubator i-Hub.

Kenya 45
article thumbnail

10+ Trends: Recap of 2011 and What’s Next…

thebarefootvc

Women Rising: Microfinance institutions have known for years that women have higher repayment rates than men and that women are more likely to invest the borrowed capital back into their families and local communities. The era of the patriarch is nearing an end.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Techstars and The Nature Conservancy

Feld Thoughts

Amy went to Tanzania and Kenya in 2009 with TNC to increase capacity of TNC non-profit partners. Heather Tallis , TNC’s Global Managing Director and Lead Scientist for Strategy Innovation, generously participated in our August 2017 Anchor Point Fellowship in Global Leadership Conference.

article thumbnail

Bplans Briefcase: Business Stories to Keep You in the Know

Up and Running

Penda improves health care in Kenya. Penda is a social enterprise: a for-profit company with the mission of improving the lives of people in the community, in this case via its affordable health clinics. Koczela is enthusiastic about the entrepreneurial spirit in Kenya: “You are working from seven a.m. to nine p.m.

Syria 60
article thumbnail

37 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Businesses

Hearpreneur

When you support that platform with inspirational and informative subject matter that helps guide people along the way, and then offer them a community of service providers who can help round out their team—well, that’s the ticket. Karibu Markets began after a trip I took to Kenya in early 2014. That’s massive.

article thumbnail

Neurodiversity: Marie O’Riordan on the sense of belonging

Transformify

In 2006, I volunteered in an orphanage in Nairobi and Mombasa in Kenya. It was fulfilling for me to see people developing their leadership skills by leading an employee resource group. The first time I volunteered, it was in a hospital in France as a teenager. Since then, I embarked on humanitarian missions around the world.

article thumbnail

Of Course #BlackLivesMatter — How Could Anything be LESS Controversial?

Both Sides of the Table

As a white person I cannot accept that the GOP candidate for office was the leading voice in the United States for the “birther movement,” which questioned the citizenship of the president of the United States because his father was from Kenya. How can we as a community not speak up? After Eric Garner? Trayvon Martin? Freddie Gray?

America 150