article thumbnail

The Experience of Being a Limited Partner in Venture Capital

This is going to be BIG.

Either way, VC funds aren't really built around creating much of an experience for their Limited Partners. Rather than see LP interactions as a chore or a burden, new fund managers should see this as an opportunity to extend the community around their fund. For smaller funds, I think this is a real mistake.

article thumbnail

The Twenty Year Itch: My Last VC Investment Out of Brooklyn Bridge Ventures

This is going to be BIG.

I’ll also continue to work within the NYC tech community—now thriving at a level I could hardly have imagined when I first got the pitch deck for USV’s first fund as a Limited Partner at the GM pension fund. To think, I almost didn’t take that 2004 meeting because it was a NYC-based fund. Consider this.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

I’ve listed them below in *very* roughly descending order of efficiency, measured by increased dollars one can put to work, divided by the operational dollars required to implement each strategy. . – Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff.

article thumbnail

Who are the Major Revenue-Based Investing VCs?

David Teten

The average monthly operating expenses is $70,335. 30% have been operated by females, 70% have been operated by males. 40% have been operated by “visible minorities”, 60% have been operated by “non-visible minorities”. Founders First Capital Partners defines these high performing organizations as Zebra Companies.”.

Revenue 60
article thumbnail

How to Scale Support of Portfolio Companies

David Teten

O perations – We work closely with a pool of preferred service providers who address the operational challenges of early-stage companies: accounting, financial modeling, sales acceleration, legal and regulatory needs, insurance, real estate, engineering, and community building. We use Asana internally at HOF.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

a “Bitcoin Fund”, a “Social Media Fund”, a “Nanotech Fund”), you’re going to raise capital from Limited Partners who are very focused on Theme X. I saw “ portfolio operations ,” i.e., levers to enhance the operations efficacy of portfolio companies, become a standard part of the private equity toolkit. – Network.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

a “Bitcoin Fund”, a “Social Media Fund”, a “Nanotech Fund”), you’re going to raise capital from Limited Partners who are very focused on Theme X. I saw “ portfolio operations ,” i.e., levers to enhance the operations efficacy of portfolio companies, become a standard part of the private equity toolkit. – Network.