article thumbnail

New Meetup on Building Tech Tools for Private Equity+VC Investors

David Teten

My colleague Sebastian Soler, software engineer at ff Venture Capital, is leading the launch of a new Meetup with me. I’ve just launched a new Meetup and online community I’m heading up with David. I asked him to write a guest post: Hi! We posted on our site a more in-depth overview of ff’s Tech Platform.

article thumbnail

Playing the Long Game in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

This is true in consumer but it’s also true in enterprise software. All four companies were in Los Angeles (or adjacent … Santa Barbara) and our community has now matured and regularly produces billion dollar+ outcomes. Case in point, Procore just went public and is trading at an $11 billion valuation.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

If you want to understand the details of why this is, I covered it in detail in this post, Understanding Changes in the Software Industry. Thomson Reuters data shows that around $10 billion of LP money went into VCs per year pre bubble. By 2000 the total LP commitments had mushroomed to more than $100 billion.

article thumbnail

VCs eating our own dog food: Using technology and analytics to make better investments

David Teten

To learn more about this space, I suggest join an online community I co-founded, PEVCTech. . Tim Friedman, Founder, PE Stack , said, “If I could offer one piece of advice to today’s managers, it would be to take the time to understand the demands of the modern institutional LP. The 11 Steps of Investing in Private Companies.

article thumbnail

Flexible VCs With Structures Between Equity and Revenue-Based Investing

David Teten

His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. GCVF specializes in providing critical support to founders based in small communities, while connecting them to an unfair network well-beyond their small-town headquarters. . (co-written with Jamie Finney, Founding Partner at Greater Colorado Venture Fund.

Equity 78
article thumbnail

Changes in Software & Venture Capital – Part 2 of 3

Both Sides of the Table

Yesterday I wrote Part 1 of the series on the changes to the software industry over the past decade that has led to changes in the venture capital industry itself. The LP Community Hasn’t Yet Caught Up. My best guess is that new LP funds will be set up in the future to service Micro VCs. I think some will do this.

article thumbnail

Does Your VC have an Investment Thesis, or a Hypothesis?

David Teten

Foundry Group, investing primarily in “ Software and Internet ”, follows six major themes, e.g., Human Computer Interaction (HCI) or Distribution. Software is by far the most sought-after class, with 94% of VCs investing in it. software”); 43 invest in 2 types of technology (e.g., software” and “deeptech”), and so on.