article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. In the middle of the Vietnam War, student riots protesting military research forced the end of classified work on most college campuses. The Government Can’t Act Like a Startup. There was a time when much of U.S.

article thumbnail

E Pluribus Unum – A Rallying Cry for National Service

Steve Blank

I had a great career as an entrepreneur, but always believed that at some point in your life you need to serve others – whether it’s God, country, community, or family. But a half-century ago, the country started to disconnect from each other and our government when we eliminated national service. Disconnection.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

27 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Businesses

Hearpreneur

I realized that working for large companies who were fighting each other, or fighting the government, was never going to scratch that itch. 13- Showcase different communities. That is when I decided I wanted to pivot my business to showcase the different communities I have had the privilege of visiting.

article thumbnail

The Path of Our Lives

Steve Blank

At 19 I joined the Air Force during the Vietnam War. Yet when the Vietnam War wound down, we were both sent to bases in different parts of the U.S. Most take what they learned in school, get a job, marry, buy a house, have a family, become a great parent, serve their god, community and country, hang with friends and live a good life.

Thailand 334
article thumbnail

Cynicism in Silicon Valley

Feld Thoughts

Readers of this blog and my book Startup Communities know that I’m a huge fan of AnnaLee Saxenian. It has a politics—this Vietnam-era rejection of the military-industrial complex, rejection of the mainframe, Big Business, Big Government, big universities.” She has a great quote in The Atlantic article.

article thumbnail

Technology, Innovation, and Modern War – Class 10 – The DOD and Modern War –– Michèle Flournoy

Steve Blank

It was time to take their claim, their rightful place in the international community. But also, to bring more tech talent into government to really help speed the transformation process. We came out of Vietnam. For some of us, it’s going to be going into government service or serving in the military.

article thumbnail

How to raise money for your startup from VCs and investors in Asia

The Next Web

As I touched on before, China and India have the most mature VC communities. Singapore is by far the most developed behind those big three markets with government schemes attracting over a dozen early stage firms to set up shop here (e.g. the large government-linked corporations setting up their own venture arms (e.g.

Asia 132