article thumbnail

May Business Angels Spread Their Wings Over Kenya?

Transformify

Despite Kenya has been named as the fasted growing payments market in Africa, there is still a lot to be done to develop the local business angel community. The capital of Kenya, Nairobi, is a vibrant city offering various resources for young start – ups, including accelerator 88MPH and incubator i-Hub.

Kenya 45
article thumbnail

Skills Development in Africa: How Wide is the Skills Gap?

Transformify

At the same time, 75% of all university graduates in Kenya and Nigeria are likely to be unemployed for up to 5 years after graduation. Most young people can’t afford to study abroad without government subsidies or scholarships. Kenya: Youth Fund Targets Young People in Business Start-Up Loans Plan.

Africa 75
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Editorial: We owe a duty of care to founder mental health and it requires a collaborative solution

NZ Entrepreneur

Sadness for the loss of a bright young New Zealander who had so much going for him, for the terrible loss for Jake’s mother and his whanau and friends, and for the loss of an up and coming innovator and entrepreneur to our business community. It also made me angry.

article thumbnail

10 Amazing Microfinance Success Stories

YoungUpstarts

In two years she has hired eight full-time employees, secured lucrative government contracts, and is able to support seven households besides her own in Amman. Joyce Wafukho, Kenya. After five years of being turned down by lenders, she approached the Kenya Women Finance Trust for a $680 loan. Lidia Calzado, U.S.

Colombia 263
article thumbnail

10+ Trends: Recap of 2011 and What’s Next…

thebarefootvc

Women Rising: Microfinance institutions have known for years that women have higher repayment rates than men and that women are more likely to invest the borrowed capital back into their families and local communities. Nothing seems impossible anymore.

article thumbnail

SXSW Pitch Finalist: Hemafuse

Austin Startup

A demonstration of Hemafuse at the launch event with Amref Health Africa in Kenya. Yarina spoke about the meaning of Sisu in Finnish, the importance of building community, and what she loves about being in Baltimore. We have had a wonderful community of peers, mentors, and we get to work with some of the best universities in the U.S.

article thumbnail

Neurodiversity: Marie O’Riordan on the sense of belonging

Transformify

In 2006, I volunteered in an orphanage in Nairobi and Mombasa in Kenya. In addition, as a natural negotiator and a people person, Marie accompanied delegations on long-haul multi-country trade missions in Asia and Europe. The first time I volunteered, it was in a hospital in France as a teenager.