article thumbnail

[Review] Startup Communities

YoungUpstarts

“We need to be like Silicon Valley,” we hear many a startup community organizer around the world intone. And Feld should know – he’s been an integral part of the startup community in Boulder, Colorado, and has seen the entrepreneurial scene there (and in other parts of the United States) flourish and grow.

Community 174
article thumbnail

Joint Statement by Colorado High-Tech Companies on COVID-19

Feld Thoughts

I’ve been involved with a number of leaders in the Colorado tech community since Wednesday morning as we’ve aggressively mobilized to address the Covid-19 crisis. We are leaders of 35 different technology companies with headquarters or offices in the Denver and Boulder metro areas. Every hour counts.

Colorado 168
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Startup Communities – Building Regional Clusters

Steve Blank

How to build regional entrepreneurial communities has just gotten it’s first “here’s how to do it” book. Feld’s thesis is that unlike the common wisdom, it is entrepreneurs that lead a startup community while everyone else feeds the community. They are not run by the government or any single organization.

Community 333
article thumbnail

What Denver Should Do When Amazon Doesn’t Choose It For HQ2

Feld Thoughts

Ian Hathaway, my co-author for my next book – Startup Communities 2: The Next Generation – has a great blog post up titled The Amazon Bounce Back. Colorado, specifically Denver, is in the final 20 cities bidding on Amazon’s HQ2. This open bid process is an absolutely brilliant move by Amazon for a variety of reasons.

Denver 58
article thumbnail

Government and Universities Should Use the Word “Convener” More

Feld Thoughts

In both cities (Chicago and Denver) I gave a talk about Startup Communities using the Boulder Thesis as a framework. The Denver talk ended up going almost an hour and having a lot of Q&A. Government and universities, in my view around startup communities, are feeders, not leaders.

article thumbnail

SXSW Startups: Geospiza

Austin Startup

I’d love to hear what she has to say on the entrepreneurship and government. Geospiza is based in Denver. The Denver startup ecosystem is generous and supportive?—?truly I really am happy that we, as a tech community, are having deeper, more honest conversations about data and privacy.

Denver 48
article thumbnail

The National Day of Civic Hacking

Feld Thoughts

Over 5000 people in 87 locations will be joining up to use their talents to make their communities a better place. The National Day of Civic Hacking is the first of a yearly event created by the White House to gather Citizen Engineers and have them use newly accessible government data to improve their communities and our entire society.

Denver 137