article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

But it does lead me to ask peers about how they first encountered, and committed to, software. The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. My sense is that many people in our industry are fundamentally shaped by what tech meant for them as kids. Do you have any “AHA!”

Video 103
article thumbnail

Can you Do Well by Doing Good? The Data Say Yes

Up and Running

As an entrepreneur, you depend on the support of your community to realize your vision, but what are you giving back? Sabrina Parsons, CEO of Palo Alto Software says, “Being a good corporate citizen has given Palo Alto Software tremendous ROI. No man (or company) is an island, as the poem says.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Bigger in Bend – Building a Regional Startup Cluster–part 1 of 3

Steve Blank

Dino and I kept in touch as he moved up to Bend, Oregon on a mission to engineer Bend into a regional technology cluster. Part 1: Bend, Oregon Ecosystem and Entrepreneurs. Bend, Oregon is an ideal case study because of its size, location and entrepreneurial characteristics. Part 2: Early-stage Regional Venture Funds.

article thumbnail

How to Write a Business Plan for an Outpatient Medical Practice

Up and Running

Here’s a brief example: The problem : There is a lack of affordable pediatric and gynecological care available in coastal areas of Lane County, Oregon. The solution : Dr. Gardner plans to open Ocean Lane Outpatient Care to serve smaller Oregon coastal communities scattered outside of major towns with major hospitals.

article thumbnail

Mentoring the mentors: Advice and inspiration for startup mentors

siliconflorist.com

Covering the blossoming startup industry in Portland, Oregon, and the Silicon Forest. Distributed Systems Software Engineer. Platform Software Developer. Software Cloud Engineer III. Software Cloud Project Manager. Community Manager. Software Engineer. Oregon Entrepreneur Network (OEN).

article thumbnail

5 Tips to Becoming a More Customer Centric Organization

Both Sides of the Table

They attended property management association meetings in Oregon outside of the technology echo chamber of California to get a sense for people’s daily problems. I know that their are independent software companies now focused on this like UserVoice and Get Satisfaction. What changed for us was Tim Barker arrived.

Customer 280
article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. Maryland was the first U.S.