Remove Community Remove Engineer Remove San Diego
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

How To Maximize A Limited Labor Budget With Gig Work

YoungUpstarts

Does it make sense to hire a full-time app engineer? But gig work is in fact a return to an old labor model in which individuals sought out jobs on the basis of how their skills contributed to the community. Say your business is developing a mobile app. What if you offered that app project as a gig instead?

San Diego 157
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

As a longtime Facebook engineering leader and now Meta’s new CTO, Andrew Bosworth has been at the center of many decisions Facebook/Meta made in the last decade, so I decided to ask him Five Questions. The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. Do you have any “AHA!”

Video 108
article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

We had a finance group for all of the bank branches based in San Diego, and I wrote programs to download stuff from the mainframe so we could do analysis three days faster than they could send us the data. I did programming for the career center at UC San Diego, trying to build programs for the career center.

Cofounder 337
article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford – Weeks 8 and 9

Steve Blank

But a decade earlier as undersecretary of defense for research and engineering, he was the father of the second offset strategy using software and semiconductors to build smart weapons, smart sensors, and stealth aircraft that helped end the Cold War. Second: I also gave the commencement speech at the NYU engineering school here.

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

I owe ya’ a 20 minute call (or in person next time I’m in San Diego). I do something I now call community hours. And so that is a steady import of talent but even more interestingly what it really did is it re-energized the entrepreneurial community.”. And they made an early investment in Yahoo.“ “….a

article thumbnail

Growing a Profitable Marketing Consulting Practice: My First Year as a Duct Tape Marketing Consultant

Duct Tape Marketing

My first interaction with John Jantsch was in April of 2016 at the annual Social Media Marketing World conference in San Diego, CA. A copy of John Jantsch’s presentation at the 2016 Social Media Marketing World conference in San Diego, CA. I also recommend the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast). 40% Revenue Growth.