article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

But it does lead me to ask peers about how they first encountered, and committed to, software. The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. My sense is that many people in our industry are fundamentally shaped by what tech meant for them as kids. Do you have any “AHA!”

Video 104
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

27 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Businesses

Hearpreneur

For those that cannot afford the services of my company, I make sure to volunteer in leadership positions with the Junior League of San Diego. Before starting Bizstim Software Solutions I was a college professor and I had a tutoring company as a side hustle. Thanks to Christopher Binns, Bizstim Software Solutions ! #12-

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

I owe ya’ a 20 minute call (or in person next time I’m in San Diego). A deep dive into the Foundry Group investment philosophy including an interesting discussion of their investing Themes. “… our lens is: Internet Software Companies anywhere in the U.S. I do something I now call community hours.

article thumbnail

[Interview] Imaginary Friends Studios (Is More Real Than You Think)

YoungUpstarts

I believe in serving the art community and I consistently devote my time to interact with the aspiring artists through deviantART, chat-rooms and streaming my art on Livestream regularly. Kai Lim: I am also known by my handle UkiTakuMuki within the online art community.

Singapore 228
article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

Before you think I was a complete nerd, in addition to making money selling software, which I did at 15, 16 years old, I also made money throwing keg parties. I did programming for the career center at UC San Diego, trying to build programs for the career center. So I went from San Diego to LA to Miami to the south of France.

Cofounder 337
article thumbnail

Crafting Unforgettable Experiences: The 3 M’s of Event Success

Duct Tape Marketing

Key Takeaways: Phil Mershon emphasizes the importance of understanding the customer journey, surprising and delighting attendees with unexpected elements, and transforming event audiences into a supportive community. 07:52] How can you serve both audience and community ? [09:45] How do you view audience versus community?