article thumbnail

Founder Interview: Abraham Gin on Entrepreneurs and Leadership

The Startup Magazine

Here’s another from The Startup Magazine Founder Interview Series. We also provide training and courses for individuals who don’t feel confident with communicating in a professional environment as it may lead to misunderstandings. Another example is the City Table Leadership website that is created for the city of Kansas.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. A Strong Pool of Tech Founders – Stating the obvious.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Kansas City here we come

David Cohen

The Demo Day for the inaugural class of the Sprint Mobile Health Accelerator powered by Techstars is Thursday, June 12 at 5:30pm CST in Kansas City. The event is at the beautiful Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and unlike most Techstars demo days we are completely opening this one to the community because the venue is so spacious.

article thumbnail

25 Entrepreneurs Explain How They Came Up With Their Business Names

Hearpreneur

I focused on what it is I do, I want to be approachable to the community and also I thought it important to express an idea of ‘moving with the times’, being fresh, consistent with modern practices and the such. So, I ended up naming the business after the place where it was born — Kansas City, Kansas.

Naming 101
article thumbnail

Your city doesn’t have a startup community? Start one!

The Next Web

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Aaron Pitman , an angel investor and founder and partner of RA Domain Capital. You don’t have to be located in Silicon Valley to take part in a great startup community. After all, a great startup community can grow anywhere — from the buzzing streets of New York City to sleepy rural Iowa.

Community 153
article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Written by the founder of social enterprise Tom’s Shoes, this book is full of tips for making a difference with your business. Here in the U.S.