article thumbnail

Entrepreneurs and the Wikipedia Road Map

The Startup Magazine

The first step–a conscious decision to be included and a commitment to meet the stringent quality, market and social impact standards the Wikipedia community upholds. If the volunteer community decides an organization is not yet notable, the next step is to create a media plan to boost its Wikipedia status. Dan Cook.

article thumbnail

How to Create a Healthy Local Startup and Tech Community

This is going to be BIG.

In 2010, Antonio Garcia Martinez, the founder of AdGrok, wrote, “New York will always be a tech backwater, I don’t care what Chris Dixon or Ron Conway or Paul Graham say.” On the other had, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami winds up with a fantastic community feel and vibe but struggles to produce big companies.

Community 172
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

New York Lean Startup Week

Startup Lessons Learned

Next week, I travel to New York, where I'm especially excited to see the entrepreneurial renaissance that is in progress, first hand. I am declaring next week to be officially Lean Startup Week in New York City. Special thanks to Trevor Owens for helping to organize my New York trip.).

New York 133
article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of VC funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. The overall culture in Austin is renowned for its supportiveness of the small business community. Silicon Valley has dominated the U.S.

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurial Journey Takes Melvin Brewing To Denver’s Heights and Beyond

The Startup Magazine

Their beer is currently shipped to Portland, Oregon, Denver, Boise, and Seattle. Product is shipped to Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and San Diego on occasion. The Bellingham brewpub has become popular in the community. They have also begun to test the waters for distribution in Massachusetts.

article thumbnail

[Event] FOCUS100

YoungUpstarts

FOCUS100 is an initiative of digitalundivided , a social enterprise founded by Finney that develops programs geared toward increasing the active participation of urban communities, especially women, in the digital space. This year’s event will take place in the City University of New York Graduate Center’s historic B.

article thumbnail

Engineering a Regional Tech Cluster-part 3 of 3 of Bigger in Bend

Steve Blank

But today we are intentionally engineering six distinct activities to support this tech cluster: entrepreneurial density, university, transportation, capital, accelerator, and business community. This effort was over a decade in the making and something that the local community fought hard for. University. Transportation.

Engineer 307