article thumbnail

2022 Predictions

Eric Friedman

5/ The rise of operator angels + micro VCs explodes in 2021. This is already happening, but there will be an explosion of rolling funds, operator angels, and micro investors who want to co-invest in friends, companies, and cohorts they are a part of. If communities are a moat , now they are even more important to protect.

article thumbnail

The Silent Killer – The Company Your Community Never Created

Both Sides of the Table

Of course this can be done and of course I am a big proponent of the rise of startup centers across the country as the Internet has moved from the “infrastructure phase” to the “application phase” dominated by the three C’s: content, communications and commerce. So what can a community do?

Community 369
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

Thomson Reuters data shows that around $10 billion of LP money went into VCs per year pre bubble. By 2000 the total LP commitments had mushroomed to more than $100 billion. LP contributions to VC firms shrunk from 2000 and by 2005-2008 had stabilized to around $30 billion per year. The Funding Problem.

article thumbnail

VCs eating our own dog food: Using technology and analytics to make better investments

David Teten

I walk through below how progressive investors are using technology and analytics throughout all of their operations. To learn more about this space, I suggest join an online community I co-founded, PEVCTech. . We are also seeing technology evaluation as an increasingly important part of LP operational due diligence.

article thumbnail

Fundraising advice for emerging GP’s

Version One Ventures

generalist focus, operator background). The first is the fund that you would ideally raise if LP capital was not a constraining factor. Given this, LPs today are focused on the depth of the investing experience of a new GP and any emerging manager should address this heads-on in their deck and LP communications.

LP 73
article thumbnail

Flexible VCs With Structures Between Equity and Revenue-Based Investing

David Teten

His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. GCVF specializes in providing critical support to founders based in small communities, while connecting them to an unfair network well-beyond their small-town headquarters. . (co-written with Jamie Finney, Founding Partner at Greater Colorado Venture Fund.

Equity 78
article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

I’ve listed them below in *very* roughly descending order of efficiency, measured by increased dollars one can put to work, divided by the operational dollars required to implement each strategy. . – Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff.