article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. And from then on, innovation in semiconductors, supercomputers, and software would be driven by startups, not the government. The Government Can’t Act Like a Startup. This article previously appeared in War On The Rocks.

article thumbnail

Calling Financial Innovators

VC Adventure

Sweet Grace was born in 2008, as the Great Recession ripped through the United States, particularly affecting working-class communities like Lawrence, Massachusetts where Danaris lives. How could this function in communities and Main Streets in America? She can identify the exact minute the bakery was born.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

In Boston, a School to Learn How to Work at a Startup

ReadWriteStart

It comes down to serving the needs of the growing ecosystem of the Boston tech community. For years, the Boston tech scene has lamented the fact that many of its best and brightest grab a prestigious diploma or hook up with a hot startup and flee Massachusetts. Facebook is only its highest profile and most painful example.

Boston 124
article thumbnail

4 American Cities That Want Your Business

Up and Running

As local governments work to transform their regulatory environments into ones that promote and nurture the establishment and growth of small businesses, it’s becoming easier to measure and rank their efforts. Boston, Massachusetts. Note: These are selections based on my personal opinion. See Also: How to Choose a Business Location.

article thumbnail

Tech-Business Divide - A Call To Arms

Seeing Both Sides

While Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s decision to drop out of Harvard and move to Silicon Valley was a plot point in in the movie “The Social Network,” it looked like a watershed event to many in the local technology community. And many of them view the local government as an irrelevant factor in their business.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #11: Jeremy Howard on the power of masks, health policy, and data science in medicine

Startup Lessons Learned

Before that I was an equal partner in Kaggle, which is a popular data science competition community. So plenty of dark bits, but also this weird discovery that you can create incredibly close connections with people that I've never met before and build a global community of people who want nothing more than to help save lives.

article thumbnail

Startup Strategy Roundtable: Niche Marketplace Businesses Can Be Interesting

ReadWriteStart

Well, there are some government and NGO contacts that I have in mind for her to explore. David is also struggling with the notion of his community taking the transactions offline. She has a master's degree in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. million financing round for.

India 116