article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Techstars in Kansas City

Feld Thoughts

Yesterday Techstars announced the launch of Techstars Kansas City. This is a city-based horizontal accelerator similar to the ones we have in Boulder, Boston, Seattle, Austin, New York City, London and Berlin. I have a long history with Kansas City. Come join us if you are in town and interested.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Managing an Expanding Business, With Your Mission Guiding the Way

Duct Tape Marketing

Managing an Expanding Business, With Your Mission Guiding the Way written by John Jantsch read more at Duct Tape Marketing. This week on the Duct Tape Marketing podcast, I sit down with Matt Scanlon, owner of The Hill KC in Kansas City. Once Scanlon began running the gym, he started to notice other ways to serve the community.

article thumbnail

Transcript of How to Build a Community Around Your Business

Duct Tape Marketing

Transcript of How to Build a Community Around Your Business written by John Jantsch read more at Duct Tape Marketing. He is a community and collaboration strategy consultant, advisor and speaker. He is a community and collaboration strategy consultant, advisor and speaker. Back to Podcast. Transcript. This is John Jantsch.

article thumbnail

Texas goes to Kansas City for the Kauffman Foundation Eship Summit

Austin Startup

Trey Bowles from The Dallas Entrepreneurship Center (The DEC), Joshua Baer from Capital Factory, JR Reale from Station Houston, and Preston James from DivInc together in Kansas City, MO for the Kauffman Foundation Eship Summit. This was my first time visiting Kansas City. Many other communities are starting from nothing.

article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

My Kauffman Fellows Summit Talk

Feld Thoughts

I’ve recently joined the board of directors and enjoyed spending two days in Kansas City immersed in things with the Kauffman Fellows, a bunch of friends, and a number of LPs and GPs that came to the event. As part of it, I gave a talk and did Q&A with Lesa Mitchell (now the Managing Director of Techstars Kansas City).