article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think the next big startup can’t come from Dallas, TX?

Community 378
article thumbnail

How a crappy promotion led to me being a software engineer

Austin Startup

This post expands on a recent podcast I did with Living Corporate outlining the story behind my career switch to software engineering. Quick Background I was born in Nigeria, but mostly grew up in Dallas, TX. I’m currently coming up on my two-year anniversary as a software engineer on December 19, 2018.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #2: Mark Cuban on putting people first, the Dallas Mavericks, and what we'll want on the other side

Startup Lessons Learned

You may know him as the owner of the Dallas Mavericks or an investor on Shark Tank. They're going to look to see what impact you had in your community. 11:59) Giving people trust and autonomy and opening lines of communication as a leader, and how Mark's leadership has evolved. (14:16) Mark Cuban is a legend.

Dallas 68
article thumbnail

No more Bathroom Bills!

Austin Startup

Patrick, and Members of the Texas Legislature: As leaders of Texas’ successful and growing tech and startup community, we write in opposition to the proposed “bathroom bills” currently being considered in the Texas Legislature. Abbott, Speaker Straus, Lt. James, II CEO, DivInc in Austin Nick Kennedy President, Surf Airlines Inc.

Dallas 48
article thumbnail

Tech Diversity & Inclusion Allies at SXSW

Austin Startup

Mellie Price (@mellieprice) | Twitter Heather Brunner CEO WPEngine Heather Brunner is one of the most successful tech CEO’s in Austin’s history, recently raising $250 million in funding from Silver Lake for WP Engine, the leading digital experience platform built on Wordpress.

article thumbnail

What does it mean to be Latinx in Tech Today?

Austin Startup

Latinx leaders delved into discussions on representation and how to navigate the tech ecosystem, as well as exploring cultural values, perceptions, and resiliency in the Latinx tech community. Jacob Rosales , Director of Engineering at Vrbo , mentioned how companies are now increasing efforts to diversify their teams.

article thumbnail

Saturday Startup Spotlight: ROBOAMP

Austin Startup

My name is Roberto Inetti, I’m a software engineer and I’ve been coding since I was seven years old. What do you want our community to know about ROBOAMP? Are you passionate about a product that could help the community? Improvements in email conversion rate can have a significant positive ripple effect.

Startup 57