article thumbnail

How to Find the Right Online Communities

David Teten

One result: I think we’ll see people spending more and more time in gated online communities. But…how do you find the right online communities that are worth your while? Filled with conversations worth having and people whom you’d like to meet? Slack – full list of Slack Communities. Community Findr.

article thumbnail

How a crappy promotion led to me being a software engineer

Austin Startup

This post expands on a recent podcast I did with Living Corporate outlining the story behind my career switch to software engineering. I’m currently coming up on my two-year anniversary as a software engineer on December 19, 2018. Before working as a software engineer, I was already in “tech”, just not at a startup.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Road to Hire to Bring Paid Tech Training and Job Access to Under-Resourced Young Adults (18–25) in…

Austin Startup

Vanessa Baker, an August 2020 Road to Hire graduate, who is now a successful software engineer at Bank of America in Charlotte, said, “The power of Road to Hire to invest in and build the next generation of tech professionals cannot be quantified. The organization looks forward to finding that same sense of community here in Texas. “As

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #20: the founders of Bitwise on the role of technology in empowering people, spreading benefits to underserved communities, and the creation of OnwardUS

Startup Lessons Learned

Our fundamental thesis is that people of color, women, communities of concentrated poverty, have immense talent to contribute to the technology industry," Jake explained to me. "In Here's my conversation with the founders of Bitwise. Maybe we are talking about community servants or folks we previously thought were community servants.

Fresno 60
article thumbnail

The End Of “Build It Yourself” Software

YoungUpstarts

Companies like Salesforce, Magento, Yammer, Freshdesk, Asana and dozens of others are on the rise because they outmatch in-house software on usefulness and cost of ownership. Levittown made modern suburbia possible with all the safety, convenience and community people have come to expect in such neighborhoods.

Software 248
article thumbnail

More Coders. More Diversity.

Feld Thoughts

Techtonic Academy provides underprivileged youth, minorities, women, and veterans both technical training and mentorship to become entry-level software engineers and pursue a career in the technology field. As Heather told me, “I have an Ivy League education, but that’s not where I learned to code.

Coder 70