article thumbnail

Leadership is More Than a Memo

Steve Blank

While Silicon Valley has grown to have global influence, in many ways the cultural leadership from the venture community has dramatically shrunk in the last decade. Among other things the book reminded me how important leadership is in setting startup culture – both consciously and implicitly. And back then they were all men.)

article thumbnail

6 Keys To Transforming Yourself Into A Startup Leader

Startup Professionals Musings

Most people I know in business begin by capitalizing on technical strength or passion for change , such as engineering, or focus on saving the environment. Luckily, you can learn needed leadership skills. Of course, you can always ride on someone’s coattail, and let them do the leadership, while you do the hard work in the shadows.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Sin-Mei Tsai, Shippo’s VP of Engineering, Defines Code Quality

Version One Ventures

Six weeks ago, we kicked off a new series where we profile an awesome operator in our network to learn about his/her work and contributions to his/her organization and community at large. This time, I am very excited to introduce Sin-Mei Tsai , VP of Engineering at Shippo , a Version One portfolio company. Functional quality.

article thumbnail

9 Strategies For Implementing An Innovative Business

Startup Professionals Musings

He created a culture of community and human connection that everyone still loves. Tesla has found that sharing many of their battery patents has expanded the market for all electric vehicle providers, as well as attracted the very best engineers to join Tesla’s team. Analyze all failures for learning opportunities.

article thumbnail

Roofing Exec by Day, Firefighter by Night – Joe’s Timely Leadership Lessons

YoungUpstarts

by Keith Martino , head of CMI and author of “ Expect Leadership “ Eddie scaled the catwalk, looked back and heard a loud boom. Serving his community that evening as their Volunteer Fire Chief, Joe diligently scanned his first responder radio for any sign of distress. Joe brought a different style of leadership to bear.

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurs and the Wikipedia Road Map

The Startup Magazine

The first step–a conscious decision to be included and a commitment to meet the stringent quality, market and social impact standards the Wikipedia community upholds. This should be all you need to convince your leadership team that inclusion is advantageous. The argument for inclusion focuses on why people go to Wikipedia.

article thumbnail

Ardent War Story 5: The Best Marketers Are Engineers

Steve Blank

Building an Advisory Board In my travels outside the building I kept my eyes out for articulate and visionary scientists and engineers who had expertise we lacked, and were willing to help in an advisory capacity. I chose to hire engineers from within each of our target markets and set up “Steve’s one month MBA course for engineers.”

Engineer 207