article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

” It’s the most common refrain I hear from investors and even entrepreneurs these days. When my friend and the father of LA’s tech startup community Bill Gross first demonstrated his company GoTo.com (renamed Overture) on stage at a TED conference he was actually booed (True story. for $565 million to Excite.

article thumbnail

Boston’s WebInno Is Now BIG

Genuine VC

Back in June, the local Boston tech community together celebrated the ten year anniversary of the Web Innovators Group, affectionately known as “WebInno.” Originally, I had invited a dozen or so internet entrepreneurs to a Cambridge bar where we crammed into the back room wearing hand-drawn nametags.

Boston 100
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

SXSW Startups: CargoX

Austin Startup

The startup community and ecosystem is developed to a certain stage that does not currently provide long shots, which are possible in larger cities with better VC and investors background. Many entrepreneurs confirm that the drive of innovating and making their idea shine is just too powerful to let go of.

article thumbnail

We Need More Entrepreneurs In Congress

Feld Thoughts

As we come to the end of a particularly noisy and contentious election cycle, a thought echoes over and over in my mind – we need more entrepreneurs in Congress. He helped launch six seed capital funds, three college accelerator programs, the StartFast Venture Accelerator.

article thumbnail

Harvard’s Big Moves to Improve Its Startup Spirit: An HBS Student’s Take

View from Seed

He is currently a second year student at Harvard Business School and will be focused on supporting the early-stage startup community in Boston and its schools. This is his first post to The View From Seed. And done well, local seed capital can be the catalyst for the new Harvard engineering campus in Allston.

Boston 328
article thumbnail

Angel Investors vs. Angel Groups

Business Plan Blog

Angels are often former or current entrepreneurs themselves, as well as business professionals and corporate leaders. There are a few reasons why angels make investments, and those are to gain a return on their money, to participate in the entrepreneurial process, and to give back to their communities by catalyzing economic growth.

article thumbnail

A Quality Benchmark for Accelerators: The Global Accelerator Network

Feld Thoughts

Some are major contributors to their startup communities. Provide some sort of seed capital to their founders. Take a small amount of equity (usually ~6%) and overall have terms that are favorable to entrepreneurs. Have a strong management team who are typically proven entrepreneurs. Others are not.

Global 179