article thumbnail

How Philadelphia is Winning a Startup Renaissance

The Startup Magazine

Philadelphia gets called a lot of things. One thing this historic city doesn’t often get noticed for is its emerging Philadelphia startup scene. In the US, places like San Francisco, Austin, Seattle, and Washington, DC get the lion’s share of attention as startup sweet spots. But the noise is getting louder.

article thumbnail

"The Startup Way" is Headed to London

Startup Lessons Learned

-Adam Grant, New York Times bestselling author of Originals , Give and Take , and OPTION B with Sheryl Sandberg Since The Startup Way came out on October 17th, I’ve had a great time traveling with the book, speaking to audiences, and meeting amazing people creating change in all types of organizations. Next stop on the book tour: London.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Storably.com – Peer-to-Peer Marketplace For Renting Storage Or Carpark Space

YoungUpstarts

Philadelphia-based Storably is founded by Wharton Penn graduates Josh Kowitt and Apu Gupta. They later brought on Brendan Lowry as a community manager. The site was formally launched in Philadelphia on September 21, and the startup intends to expand nationally soon. Breaking Out Of Cold Storage. Team First, Idea Later.

article thumbnail

7 Ways To Raise Your Visibility As A Business Leader

Startup Professionals Musings

Yet I have learned over the years as a startup advisor that all business leaders are not the same. Johnson accepted full company accountability on Twitter for a racial profiling incident at a Starbucks in Philadelphia. Build community with team members and advisors. For example, a couple of years ago, Starbucks' CEO Kevin R.

article thumbnail

Startup Grind Turns the Tables on Mark Suster

Both Sides of the Table

One of my favorite events last year was attending Startup Grind where I got to interview Clayton Christensen, author of The Innovator’s Dilemma. And of course we talked about many of my views of building startups. Well, for starters, I was born in Philadelphia, so I’m a lifelong Eagles fan. 00:00:52] MARK: Sure.

Cofounder 337
article thumbnail

The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch

Both Sides of the Table

Magic spoke about how when he left basketball he wanted to bring businesses to African American communities that were lacking in basic services. ” Troy started his life in a poor neighborhood in West Philadelphia. But it highlighted the misperceptions many people have had about serving urban markets. He sold for a huge gain.

article thumbnail

Diverse Startups Can Receive Tech Mentorship And Thrive

ReadWriteStart

About a year ago, Rachel Brooks was poised to bring her startup to the next level. Fortunately, it was around the same time that Brooks connected with Kathryn Finney of Digital Undivided , a community outreach program with the mission of getting black women started in tech. Invisible Barriers. But in reality, Brooks is an anomaly.