article thumbnail

How a crappy promotion led to me being a software engineer

Austin Startup

This post expands on a recent podcast I did with Living Corporate outlining the story behind my career switch to software engineering. I’m currently coming up on my two-year anniversary as a software engineer on December 19, 2018. Before working as a software engineer, I was already in “tech”, just not at a startup.

article thumbnail

How to Find the Right Online Communities

David Teten

One result: I think we’ll see people spending more and more time in gated online communities. But…how do you find the right online communities that are worth your while? First, I suggest search within the major online community platforms for your industries and functions of interest, in particular: . Community Findr.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

GrabCAD & Professional Communities ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

GrabCAD & Professional Communities. In addition to compelling founders, we were drawn to the company by their vision for a professional community for mechanical engineers and designers. You’ve seen this with companies like StackOverflow and Github in software engineering or Behance in visual design.

Community 100
article thumbnail

Google Engineer: How We Interview, How I’d Beat Us for Talent, & How Non-Technical Founders Should Approach Devs

View from Seed

Saurya Velagapudi is a senior software engineer at Google, based in their Cambridge, Mass., I recently chatted with Saurya about how he approaches hiring engineers at Google and what founders can learn. NV: What are some basics you’d recommend to anyone hiring an engineer? office, right in the heart of MIT.

article thumbnail

Tech Industry Hiring In Canada Continues To Grow

YoungUpstarts

Positions for software development and data science continue to expand throughout the industry. According to tech recruiters , 2019 has brought a handful of tech jobs to the forefront, such as cyber security engineering, AI/machine learning and data scientists, to name a few. The province has a robust start-up community.

Canada 167
article thumbnail

New Meetup on Building Tech Tools for Private Equity+VC Investors

David Teten

My colleague Sebastian Soler, software engineer at ff Venture Capital, is leading the launch of a new Meetup with me. I’ve just launched a new Meetup and online community I’m heading up with David. Engineers, product managers, and platform managers building tech solutions for private market investing.