article thumbnail

How to Create a Healthy Local Startup and Tech Community

This is going to be BIG.

In 2010, Antonio Garcia Martinez, the founder of AdGrok, wrote, “New York will always be a tech backwater, I don’t care what Chris Dixon or Ron Conway or Paul Graham say.” On the other had, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami winds up with a fantastic community feel and vibe but struggles to produce big companies.

Community 172
article thumbnail

How to Create a Successful Business Event

Duct Tape Marketing

He is the president of flyte new media and the founder of The Agents of Change conference and podcast. Brooks created the conference in Portland, Maine to build an event for digital marketers and to get flyte’s name out there as an industry leader. What is the role of community building in creating a great event.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

William Hurley, the co-founder of Honest Dollar, an Austin-based provider of retirement plans to small businesses, says creative talent is abundant : It’s got the music, the university scene, the hippies and the rule-breakers… It’s very easy to hire people who want to push the limits. Austin has become quite a hotspot.

article thumbnail

Nike Accelerator – Powered By TechStars

Feld Thoughts

When we started TechStars in 2006, one of our premises was to help build a strong startup community in Boulder. Based in Portland, the program is just a short drive away from Nike World Headquarters. will begin in March of 2013 and conclude in June with two investor demo days; one in Portland and one in Silicon Valley.

Portland 151
article thumbnail

Entrepreneurial Journey Takes Melvin Brewing To Denver’s Heights and Beyond

The Startup Magazine

As the founder of the company, he has been steadily expanding the company’s reach through the building of new brewpubs and breweries in many Western cities. Their beer is currently shipped to Portland, Oregon, Denver, Boise, and Seattle. The Bellingham brewpub has become popular in the community.

article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

Zebras Uniting at DazzleCon

Feld Thoughts

Yesterday afternoon, I got a text from Mara Zepeda , one of the founders of the Zebra Movement and authors of the manifesto, saying that we should talk. We had a great discussion where I learned more about Zebras, the Zebra Movement, and the upcoming DazzleCon Conference in Portland this week.