Remove 2000 Remove Community Remove Partner Remove Venture Capital
article thumbnail

This Week in Venture Capital – Episode 2

Both Sides of the Table

I was on This Week in Venture Capital (TWiVC) again this week with Jason Calacanis. In fact, their affiliate partners dissuaded them from doing so. I don’t believe that search is the only answer in 2010 as it was in 2000. 10 million in Series B Menlo Ventures , Steamboat. OTHER STUFF.

article thumbnail

GRP Announces $200 Million Fund. Rebrands as Upfront Ventures

Both Sides of the Table

I am super excited to announce that today is a day of lots of new things for my partners & me: A new fund, a new office and a new brand. We have previously raised funds in 1996 ($200 million), 2000 ($400 million) and 2008/9 ($200 million). Well, the venture capital industry has changed a lot in the past 20 years … and we have too.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why The SBIC Doesn’t Work For Venture Capital Anymore

Feld Thoughts

Each of the SBIC funds were raised in the 2000 – 2002 time period. As a partner in one of the most visible VC firms in Colorado and an LP in many of the Colorado VC firms, I’ve never heard from Matthew or anyone from the SBIC. The SBIC was instrumental in the creation of the venture capital business.

SBIC 142
article thumbnail

Turning the Camera on Chris Dixon

Both Sides of the Table

This week I sat down with Chris Dixon, co-founder / CEO of Hunch and Partner at Founder Collective in the most recent installment of This Week in Venture Capital. If you like the quick summary notes, please check out Adam’s blog on tech, entrepreneurship & VC as a thank you.

article thumbnail

How and Why To Be an Angel Investor

David Teten

That’s a sizeable amount, especially in comparison to the US venture capital industry, which similarly invests over $20 billion annually. In 2013, 298,800 angels invested in 70,730 entrepreneurial ventures, according to the 2013 Angel Market Analysis by the Center for Venture Research at the University of New Hampshire.

article thumbnail

In Venture Capital, Should You Be a Momentum or a Value Investor?

David Teten

In VC, this means you identify companies that are not yet highly visible to the VC community; analyze them; persuade the company to sell you on the privilege of accepting your capital; then work to make them Momentum. Today, some Momentum-centric venture capital investors have high paper returns.

article thumbnail

Welcome to the Lost Decade (for Entrepreneurs, IPO’s and VC’s)

Steve Blank

If you take funding from a venture capital firm or angel investor and want to build a large, enduring company (rather than sell it to the highest bidder), this isn’t the decade to do it. The collapse of the IPO market and dysfunctional math in the venture capital community has stacked the odds against you.