article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Breyer Capital Austin?—?End of Year Update

Austin Startup

Old and new friends have reached out to welcome us to their community and share ideas about how we could play an impactful role in this remarkable city and state. Even in 2020, a difficult year by any measure, the Austin community has surpassed all of my expectations. Richard was previously the Chief Scientist at Salesforce.

Austin 84
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

We Don’t Talk Enough About Money In Silicon Valley. No, Really.

Hunter Walker

We don’t really talk about money in Silicon Valley. Don’t values and community come from sharing experiences and being vulnerable together? I know I’ve got some reach for what I write, at least within a narrow community. At least not in public in a personal way with near strangers. Another deep breath].

article thumbnail

Observations from my trip to India

Version One Ventures

It’s obviously very large, but most start-up activity is concentrated in a few cities: Bangalore (the “Silicon Valley” of India), Delhi (the 33m strong capital of India), Mumbai (the financial capital) and Chennai. There is definitely an enthusiastic community to build on and I met some very smart crypto founders during my trip!

India 86
article thumbnail

Applying Lean Startup Beyond Silicon Valley

Startup Lessons Learned

Entrepreneurs beyond Silicon Valley, including those working abroad, often have to retool Lean Startup methods to apply them in places with very different business cultures. This event is free, and their conversation will be followed by a live Q&A for webcast attendees; register today to join them.

article thumbnail

It’s Not a Conversion Problem, It’s a Customer Development Problem

ConversionXL

I feel like “conversion rate optimization” is in 2013 what “social media marketing” was in 2009. Not because they have a conversion problem but because they never really nail the product or how to market it. This is not a conversion problem. Most startups fail. This is a customer development problem.

article thumbnail

China Startups – The Gold Rush and Fire Extinguishers (Part 5 of 5)

Steve Blank

But for the last decade “innovation” in Chinese software meant something different than it did in Silicon Valley. Entrepreneurs in Beijing were knowledgeable about Silicon Valley, entrepreneurship and the state of software and tools available for two reasons. Of course “copy” is too strong a word. Management 101.

China 326