article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

One social enterprise that embodies this model is InStove, an organization that sustainably makes the world’s most efficient stove, for use primarily in developing nations where fossil fuels and electricity are scarce, and walking long distances to gather wood can be dangerous. Maryland was the first U.S. Here in the U.S.

article thumbnail

The Tech Mentorship Gap: How Code2040 Is Solving. What You Can Do. And How LinkedIn Can Help

Hunter Walker

Even if you’re just starting out in your career, there’s an opportunity to develop a ‘pay it forward’ mentality. I’d love to see LinkedIn standardize the notion of community service as a field in your profile. Code2040 is one of the organizations trying to solve the mentorship gap for Blacks and Latino/as.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

25 Entrepreneurs Explain Why They Started Their Business

Hearpreneur

Thanks to Steve Groom, Maryland Home Buyers in Baltimore ! #6- In the early 2000s, digital design and development freelancers were sort after – I was fresh out of University (having completed a degree in Media Arts) and was hungry for work. It never occurred to me to start my own business that early into my career as a web developer.

article thumbnail

The Big Bang. The Lean LaunchPad explodes at University of Maryland

Steve Blank

The University of Maryland is now integrating the Lean LaunchPad ® into standard innovation and entrepreneurship courses across all 12 colleges within the University. We didn’t know it at the time, but with that investment we had paid for front-row VIP seats to witness the origins of Customer Development and the Lean Startup.

Maryland 274
article thumbnail

TerrAPPins: University of Maryland Contest Seeks Student-Developed Mobile Apps

Campus Entrepreneurship

contest for students at the University of Maryland. By Priya Kumar : Last semester, University of Maryland students received academic credit for creating iPhone apps. Through the program, the university has given pilot groups of freshmen an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad and helped develop a new cell phone emergency alert system.

article thumbnail

Why I left Wall Street to figure it out.

Austin Startup

This developed into another question: Even more, since there’s so much that goes on within the community, how can I know in one place, on my phone, what’s going on?—?in in the African communities around me? He thought his family in Maryland could use it to know what’s going within Ethiopian circles there. He loved it!

article thumbnail

Finding a Technical Cofounder

startupbaltimore.org

Baltimore’s startup community has plenty of room for new leaders. There are a ton of programmers in this region and a lot of them are toiling away outside of the communities I highlighted in #2. Start an event or project. You can attract technical talent simply by being known as an outstanding, generous, helpful business person.