article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld. Think again.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Texas Co-Working Right in Downtown Austin

Austin Startup

Earlier this year, Derek Williams and Paul Terry Walhus combined their efforts to launch Texas Coworking , an addition to the already growing trend of co-shared workspaces for entrepreneurs, business people and creative folk. Tags: Startup 101 Conjunctured Texas Coworking. As you’re probably wondering, the location is ideal.

Texas 63
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Awesome Austin Tech Events, May 1–7

Austin Startup

The Forrest Four-Cast: May 1, 2017 The strength of the Central Texas technology / startup scene helps SXSW thrive as an epicenter of innovation. Wednesday, May 3: Texas Healthcare Venture Forum Hosted by TEN Capital Group, TxHVF17 is a one-on-one funding forum open to qualified Texas companies and local and national investors.

article thumbnail

John Slatin AccessU: May 14–16 in Austin

Austin Startup

Named after the pioneering leader in web accessibility who taught at the University of Texas, John Slatin AccessU provides immediately useable information for designers, developers, project managers, administrators and content creators. Learn more about cutting-edge accessibility at John Slatin AccessU , scheduled May 14–16 at St.

Austin 48
article thumbnail

Special Edition: Smart Bear Live!

A Smart Bear: Startups and Marketing for Geeks

‘Cause otherwise you’ll miss out on stuff like this: How I illegally got 25,000 students at the University of Texas to use my FastScheduler software in the 90′s. GroupCharger , the community organizer’s secret weapon, for renting out all of Cospace for the event.

Cofounder 226
article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

The Texas capital recently was named the #1 place in America to start a business by CNBC. In large part due to the University of Texas at Austin and other universities’ influence, Austin is known for having an educated workforce. The overall culture in Austin is renowned for its supportiveness of the small business community.

article thumbnail

The Austinpreneur’s Guide to SXSW 2018 Panels & Parties

Austin Startup

The biggest week of the year for tech and startups in Austin, Texas as South by Southwest (SXSW) descends upon the city from March 19–15. Attracting VC Funding Outside Silicon Valley Panel We do a lot of things differently in Texas, including fundraising. If you live in Texas, find out how you can tap into the network.