article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Today, every government agency, service branch, and combatant command is adopting innovation activities (hackathons, design thinking classes, innovation workshops, et al.) This article previously appeared in War On The Rocks.

article thumbnail

Calling Financial Innovators

VC Adventure

Sweet Grace was born in 2008, as the Great Recession ripped through the United States, particularly affecting working-class communities like Lawrence, Massachusetts where Danaris lives. How could this function in communities and Main Streets in America? She can identify the exact minute the bakery was born.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Design Museum Boston

Up and Running

“How the hell do you start a design museum?” ” That was the question one of my students asked me three years ago when I quietly told him my plan to start a design museum in Boston with my friend and business partner, Derek Cascio. Design is a ubiquitous human activity. My reply to him: “I have no idea.”

Boston 86
article thumbnail

In Boston, a School to Learn How to Work at a Startup

ReadWriteStart

They have all the needs of any business - including sales, marketing, product development and design - to go along with all of those software engineers. The six-week immersive program offers four tracks: software development, marketing, sales and business development, and product design. But there is more to it than that.

Boston 124
article thumbnail

The Story Of A Young Entrepreneur Building A Better World With A Nonprofit

Duct Tape Marketing

Camden is the Founder and CEO of the Nonprofit Organization Beyond the Crisis Beyond the Crisis, the food-distribution charity, which has distributed over 100,000 dollars of food items to housing communities and homeless shelters across Massachusetts. 2:20] What were some of the challenges along the way? I'm very ambitious.

article thumbnail

What does it mean to be Latinx in Tech Today?

Austin Startup

Latinx leaders delved into discussions on representation and how to navigate the tech ecosystem, as well as exploring cultural values, perceptions, and resiliency in the Latinx tech community. In order to get your demographics to understand your idea or product, you have to both relate and localize it in the community.

article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. that social enterprises can take.