article thumbnail

How Kip Lewis of Austin, Texas Found Success After Failure

The Startup Magazine

Austin, Texas, USA downtown skyline. Since that time, Kip Lewis has repeated the process with more than 2,000 other RV and mobile home parks in and around Austin, Texas. Kip Lewis took decisive action by implementing the wage change on his own and not waiting to see what local government or even other business owners would do.

Texas 162
article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

I am a proud Mexican-American “Tejano” who grew up in South Texas.

Austin Startup

I love you New England, but Texas is calling me home Why we Moved Back To Texas I love you New England, but Texas is calling me home I am a proud Mexican-American “Tejano” who grew up in South Texas. As a teenager I moved away from Texas to Chicago to put myself through school and find opportunity outside of South Texas.

Texas 48
article thumbnail

Find out who we’re celebrating as this month’s Community Champion

Board Effect

Kara Klement from Texas Health Resources is recognized this month as a Community Champion. She currently serves as the Director of Governance Services for Texas Health Resources, a large nonprofit health system in North Texas, overseeing over 40 boards and committees. We are a large healthcare system.

article thumbnail

Modern Governance Summit 2023: Empowering Community Organizations for a Thriving Future

Board Effect

Get ready for Modern Governance Summit 2023 ! As the premier gathering for industry leaders, innovators, and governance experts, this year’s summit aims to equip board administrators, governance professionals and board members with insights and expertise on how to use our solutions effectively to thrive in an ever-evolving landscape.

article thumbnail

Austin’s Paper Census: Helping Government Break Up with Paper

Austin Startup

Engage the Austin community As with any initiative of this kind, community engagement is critical. Then when you are ready to reach out to the community, leverage your elected officials’ contacts, relationships, and events. Be as transparent as possible, using a community engagement portal or a public dashboard.

article thumbnail

The 5 Best States In America For New Business

YoungUpstarts

The state’s economy, government incentives and training, business regulations and workforce are other crucial factors. Additionally, the tech startup community has grown so quickly that Utah has a new nickname: The Silicon Slopes. Prospective business owners can get the best of everything in Texas.