article thumbnail

Co-founder Engaging Florida’s Innovation Ecosystem

Hearpreneur

Brian Kornfeld is President and Co-Founder of Synapse , an innovation hub for entrepreneurs, investors, and governments in the state of Florida to share ideas, solve problems and ultimately provide an ecosystem that ensures everyone from pre-seed startups to exciting unicorns continue to flock to, grow within and re-invest in the Sunshine State.

article thumbnail

Startup Feature: Security Expert Jay Hart talks Community Safety App MCALERT

The Startup Magazine

Jay Hart , a retired 30-year veteran of the Florida police force, has spent the last decade helping communities push information to residents with his public safety focused MCALERT app. The app is a useful tool for connecting communities with important information quickly during emergency situations and community-wide events.

Community 148
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Strategy Roundtable: Spotlight On Jacksonville, Florida

ReadWriteStart

Today's roundtable was co-hosted with the Jacksonville Startup Weekend. For the uninitiated, Startup Weekends are 54-hour events where entrepreneurs come together to pitch ideas, form teams, and learn best practices. This past weekend, the Jacksonville entrepreneurship community hosted their own version of this exciting program.

article thumbnail

Startup Focus: Safer Rideshares for Women, Families and Communities

The Startup Magazine

Today we focus on a startup making a impact on the safety of women and underserved communities with a safe rideshare application. The Startup Magazine welcomes the insights of Syed Gilani, CEO and Founder of Safr. Safr is a new rideshare startup focused on women’s empowerment through safe transportation.

Community 123
article thumbnail

Startup Communities Everywhere in the World

Feld Thoughts

We are with Ian Hathaway (my co-author of an upcoming book titled The Startup Community Way) finishing up the draft of the book. Recently, Ian and Richard Florida did a large study that culminated in an extensive report on the Rise of the Global Startup City. Amy and I are in Knoxville, Tennessee all week.

article thumbnail

Miami: A hot spot for venture capitalists

David Teten

A few weeks ago, I had my first-ever opportunity to visit the Miami startup ecosystem. I was visiting as part of Terrapinn Private Equity World, a leading private equity conference for the Latin American technology community. Miami is one of the fastest growing new startup hubs in the US.

Miami 114
article thumbnail

Why Bitcoin is Gaining Worldwide Popularity

The Startup Magazine

Bitcoin was conceptualised in 1998 by Satoshi Nakamoto (thought to be possibly a pseudonym), however, the first official Bitcoin transaction did not occur until January 12th, 2009 when Florida programmer Laszlo Hanyecz offered 10,000 Bitcoins for two Papa John’s pizzas (Dowling 2013).