article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Indeed, Silicon Valley was born as a center for weapon systems development and its software and silicon helped end the Cold War. The Government Can’t Act Like a Startup. There was a time when much of U.S.

article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Most of her lessons were applicable to any government employee venturing out to the private sector. Before leaving government service one of my biggest challenges was to understand how my skill as a Case Officer would translate into a job in the commercial world. It provides governance and financial oversight to the company.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

[Review] Startup Communities

YoungUpstarts

“We need to be like Silicon Valley,” we hear many a startup community organizer around the world intone. But early-stage investor and entrepreneur Bred Feld, the co-founder of VC firms Mobius and Foundry, as well as startup accelerator TechStars , thinks trying to be Silicon Valley is a fool’s errand.

Community 174
article thumbnail

8 Tactics To Make You A Fearless Business Innovator

Startup Professionals Musings

Alex is a Silicon Valley veteran and Cisco executive, often referred to as the ‘innovation therapist,’ who details his knowledge of many real-world cases and specifics on how to keep up with change and win in the marketplace. Establish a governance process to support efforts.

article thumbnail

Governance

thebarefootvc

As the price of bitcoin rose to over $11,000 this morning (from lows near $6000 two weeks ago), governance was a key theme over the past week. The Ethereum community is grappling with its own governance roadmap, with an active debate currently underway on how to resolve issues of lost funds due to hacks or vulnerabilities in smart contracts.

article thumbnail

Startup Communities Are Up To The Entrepreneurs

Feld Thoughts

As I continue to talk about Startup Communities , I say over and over and over again that the leaders have to be entrepreneurs. Everyone else – who I call the “feeders” (government, university, non-profits, big companies, VCs, angel investors) – have an important role, but the leaders must be entrepreneurs.

Community 163
article thumbnail

Cynicism in Silicon Valley

Feld Thoughts

As I was reading The Atlantic article Silicon Valley Abandons the Culture That Made It the Envy of the World I kept flashing to the end of Anna Wiener’s awesome memoir Uncanny Valley. Readers of this blog and my book Startup Communities know that I’m a huge fan of AnnaLee Saxenian. And It’s a Nightmare.