article thumbnail

Startup Feature: Security Expert Jay Hart talks Community Safety App MCALERT

The Startup Magazine

Jay Hart , a retired 30-year veteran of the Florida police force, has spent the last decade helping communities push information to residents with his public safety focused MCALERT app. The app is a useful tool for connecting communities with important information quickly during emergency situations and community-wide events.

Community 150
article thumbnail

Miami: A hot spot for venture capitalists

David Teten

I was visiting as part of Terrapinn Private Equity World, a leading private equity conference for the Latin American technology community. Miami has many of the assets of an entrepreneurial hub, notably a flourishing creative community, and a strong public university system. that cities such as San Francisco and New York have built.

Miami 114
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurship for Superwomen

Up and Running

My path-breaking case in the State of New York Human Rights Commission on behalf of all my women colleagues worldwide. I took a course on innkeeping through a company in Florida, found through online searches and reviews. A business community with diversity. Build your community relationships.

Florida 102
article thumbnail

24 Entrepreneurs Explain What They Love About Being An Entrepreneur

Hearpreneur

A couple of years ago, on a Sunday, my dad had a stroke which led to him having to go through a long recovery process in Florida. The same day I got the news I booked a flight to be with him. have lived in Prince Edward Island, New York, St. I also love that it’s a community, and how entrepreneurs help each other.

article thumbnail

Nonprofit Organizations: How They Work and What They Do

Board Effect

Nonprofit organizations exist in most communities and governments, businesses, and citizens support them in various ways for the overall benefit of the communities they serve. Because nonprofit organizations provide valuable services to communities, state and federal governments do not require nonprofit organizations to pay taxes.

article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. Maryland was the first U.S.

article thumbnail

Hyperbolic Headlines About Silicon Valley

Feld Thoughts

. “Complaints about Silicon Valley insularity are as old as the Valley itself” followed by an anecdote about Jim Clark moving to Florida during the dotcom era. I’m sitting in a hotel in New York and, according to a recent article from Bloomberg, New York Will Never Be Silicon Valley.